Good quality irons are the most efficient and easy way of putting together fabrics during the process of quilting. Those who are new to this should understand that quilting is an expensive business. It is a process of joining at least three-layer of fabrics together by stitching either by hand or machine, whatever suits the user. Irons are the most efficient way of joining these pieces together firmly, mostly like a nail in the coffin.
FEATURES OF A GOOD QUILTING IRON
It should have a stainless steel or ceramic soleplate as they glide effortlessly and smoothly on the fabric. Some irons even have steam holes in their soleplates for better and crisp results.
Cord length and its placement are important things to consider as well. It should have a long length as using an extension is a viable option but moving it here and there during your work is not. Some irons have a cord placed on their left, some right, and some center. Cords on the left or right make it difficult for certain hand users to operate them.
- HEATING TIME
You should prefer those irons who heat up fast. Mostly the products on the market of quilting irons heat up in 15 to 30 seconds. But there are some pieces there as well that might take a couple of minutes to heat up. So to save your time check this feature out.
- WEIGHT AND SIZE
For the weight prefer those who are not much heavy and easy to handle and direct. For the size, it is advisable to purchase one that is compact or small as they are easy to pack with other sewing equipment and also travel with.
- TEMPERATURE CONTROL
Features to control the temperature of the soleplate in the quilting iron are what help professionals to make sure their iron works well with all types of fabrics. It allows them to effortlessly glide and iron the fabric without harming it in any way.
With the features to pay attention to are out of the way, here are the top 13 irons for quilting in Canada:
1)Oliso M2 Pro Mini Project Iron
The Oliso M2 Pro mini iron though small can easily rival a full-sized iron in terms of power and efficiency. It is great for traveling with and can fit quite easily right next to your sewing bag in a travel kit.
- This mini iron has the power of 1000 watts and can reach its peak heat temperature in just 45 seconds.
- This machine is ideal for travel as it is lightweight, has a compact size, and can easily switch between 120V to 240V.
- This iron has an eight feet long cord that has the ability to pivot for 180 degrees and can be easily used by both left-handed and right-handed people.
- It has a diamond-coated ceramic soleplate with a precision tip that helps maintain heat, and iron over tight spots and corners.
- You do not have to worry about burning your fabric. It has an option of fabric selector with options of synthetics, wools, and cotton.
- It heats up fast.
- Its compact size makes it easy to store.
- Its precision tip on the soleplate is very useful.
- The cord is very heavy which might make traveling a bit of a hassle.
2)Steamfast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron
The Steamfast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron is not just very adorable and powerful but possibly the world’s smallest iron to set crisps and remove wrinkles from fabrics. Its size and pointed soleplate make it a useful product for quilting.
- This steamfast home and away mini iron has the power of 420 watts and is capable of removing wrinkles from almost all types of fabrics.
- It comes with a 1.4-ounce water tank and comes with variable temperature settings for perfect ironing.
- This iron heats up to its maximum temperature within 15 seconds has one-touch steam control.
- It also has some other features as well. It has one-touch steam control and double voltage for travel convenience and a heat indicator light.
- This product comes with a travel bag and a plastic measuring cup included in the package. It also has a plug which is two-pin that type polarized.
- Its compact size is its biggest advantage. It makes it easy to store.
- It has a non-stick soleplate which provides good performance.
- It has a feature of dual voltage which makes it use while traveling.
- It has a cord on the side so it might be a little uncomfortable for left-handed users.
3)GoIron Home-Quilting-Travel Portable Mini Steam Iron
The GoIron Home-and-Travel Mini Steam Iron is a compact steam iron with dual voltage. The teal and white design of this product help in removing wrinkles from any fabric and it comes with a one-year warranty.
- To make its usage while traveling easier this iron has the feature of working on dual voltage: 120V and 240V.
- Not only does it have a compact and lightweight design but it also heats up in just 30 seconds. It has a dial that lets you adjust the heat.
- Its tiny size makes it ideal to store. It fits perfectly inside your sewing machine and travel bags.
- It is easy to handle as well. It comes with a rubber grip around its handle for an ergonomic grip, easy usage, and handling.
- This product has a non-stick soleplate and a 40ml water tank and the package has a plastic cup to fill the iron with.
- It has a compact and lightweight design.
- It has a good grip.
- It heats up in just 30 seconds.
4)Conair Complete Steam Compact Steam Iron
The Conair Complete Steam Compact Steam Iron is one of those small and compact but powerful irons which are perfect for quilting. Not only is its performance commendable but is also easy to store. Its long cord is just a cherry on top.
- This compact steam iron is perfect for quilting. It has a nonstick soleplate which makes it easy to glide over the fabric.
- This compact iron is travel-friendly. It runs on the power voltage of 800 watts and has the feature of dual voltage as well.
- This iron not only has a water tank for steaming purposes but also has a variable steam control and a burst of steam function.
- You do not have to worry about burning your fabric with this either. It has a temperature control dial and a temperature-ready diet as well.
- Its compact size makes it easy to store in a sewing kit or travel bag making it easy to carry around.
- It glides smoothly over fabrics.
- It is easy to store.
- You can control its steam and temperature.
- It gets very hot if the temperature dial is turned up.
5)Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot Compact Travel Iron
The Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot Compact Travel Iron has a compact design and dual voltage feature which makes it easy to travel with. It also has a steam feature for stubborn wrinkles and a nonstick plate for smooth gliding.
- This iron is a great product to travel with. It has the feature supporting dual voltage – 240V and 120V.
- The sunbeam hot-2-trot compact travel iron has a non-stick travel plate that heats up evenly and glides smoothly over a piece of fabric.
- You can control the temperature you want to heat it too. It has variable temperature control settings to make it suit multiple fabrics.
- This product has a non-stick soleplate with a pointed tip for easy maneuvering on a cloth while quilting.
- It has the feature of shots of steam as well and it also has a soft touch handle and dial for easy handling.
- It is easy to travel with.
- It has got a great grip.
- It works well with multiple types of fabrics.
- The only way to turn it off is by unplugging it.
6)Cohotek Mini Steam Iron for Clothes
This 700watt Cohotek garment steamer is another great powerful and compact iron that is suitable for traveling. Its stainless steel head has several holes for even steam distribution. Its lightweight and ergonomic design handle provide you with a steady grip. Suitable for all fabrics, this product comes in handy at home especially if you are in a rush.
- It has a rotatable handle and can be used as both iron and standing steamer, providing you with 2 in 1 service.
- It heats up very quickly. The base plate reaches its set temperature in just 60 seconds saving you a lot of time.
- Its great handle design provides you with a steady grip and makes this product easy to maneuver.
- It has a dry hot function to help you continue ironing even when the water tank is empty and not just rely on the steam function
- It has special adjustment features that make this product suitable for ironing various fabrics.
- It can be used as a steamer and iron.
- Both steaming and ironing options together cover all the different types of fabrics.
- Every product is tested.
- If taken for travel, it needs a voltage converter.
7)Rowenta First Class Travel Iron
The Rowenta first-class travel iron is a high-powered and full-featured compact steam iron. It offers a burst of steam as well as vertical and variable steam with a full-range thermostat.
- This 1000-watt travel iron has a stainless steel non-stick soleplate with a micro steam feature for seamless ironing.
- Its quality at its job can be judged by the features: adjustable temperature, consistent steam, and a burst of steam feature for stubborn creases.
- It has a two-ounce transparent water tank. Not just that it also comes with a vertical switch option.
- This iron is great to travel with. It is not only light in weight and compact compared to a full-sized iron, but it also has dual voltage features.
- This iron can fold flat for storage. Its package size is 8-3/5 by 3-8/9 by 4-8/9-Inch and it comes with a year-long warranty.
- It is compact and easy to travel with.
- It works well with almost all fabrics.
- It is useful even with stubborn wrinkles.
- It does not have an indicator light to confirm if it is on or off.
8)Portable Foldable Handheld Steam Travel Iron
The Portable Foldable Handheld Steam Travel Iron glides easily over all fabric types and removes even the most stubborn wrinkle there is. It has various control features to suit your requirements making it a perfect quilting iron.
- This foldable handheld iron has a non-stick soleplate that glides over all sorts of fabrics seamlessly without damaging the cloth.
- It also has a wonderful spray mist feature which delivers a fine mist of water spray to get rid of tough wrinkles.
- It adapts well and can be adjusted according to the fabric being used. The features such as temperature control, temperature segments, and the steaming brush help with adjustments.
- It has a good grip. It has an anti-skid handle which is very vital for easy operation and comfortable to hold in hand.
- It can steam clothes whether they are hanged horizontally or vertically accordingly to suit your needs.
- It has good temperature control.
- It has a great grip for easy movement.
- It has a good steaming feature.
- It takes a long time to cool off.
9)Panasonic NIWL600 Steam/Dry Iron (Silver)*
This Panasonic multi-dimensional iron provides you with the experience of seamless ironing without having to twist your way into it, be it with your iron or your waist. It also saves you from the hassle of dealing with cords as it comes on a stand which helps it with heating. Set your preferred settings and when the light indicates, you are set to go. When the ironing is done you can retract the cord with the help of just a button.
- It has a 360-degree multi-dimensional design that helps you iron in any direction.
- Its cordless design makes it easier to use as it is suited for both left-handed and right-handed people.
- It has a removable water tank which makes it convenient to refill.
- It has a built-in-anti calcium system to prevent clogged steam vents by reducing sediment build-up.
- It has an anti-drip water seal to protect fabrics from water spotting.
- It has a heat-resistant carrying case so that you can easily pack up after use.
- It has a vertical stream shot to help straighten out difficult wrinkles.
- It has special features for ironing out difficult creases.
- It has digital temperature control and you can also control other settings according to your convenience.
- It has a convenient three-way shut-off.
- You might need extra space on your ironing board for the stand.
10)Oliso M2 Pro Mini Project Iron
The Oliso M2 Pro Mini Project Iron is a great choice for an iron needed for quilting. Its small size allows it to fit itself with your other equipment. Though it is small in size, it still provides power similar to a full-sized iron.
- Its solemate is made of flexible, high-temperature silicone which provides great service while taking out creases and they also cool down faster helping you to quickly store it away.
- It runs on 1000 watts of power with universal dual voltage: 110 – 120v / 220 – 240V. This makes it easy to use at different places and projects.
- The ceramic soleplate is diamond coated which makes it distribute heat evenly and glide smoothly across the fabric.
- It has a one-touch steam control that allows you to choose between two control settings: horizontal burst and vertical burst, to help you set perfect steam for different fabrics.
- It has a pivot long cord which is around eight feet.
- It is travel-friendly.
- It cools down very quickly.
- The steam it produces is not enough.
11)Rowenta DW7180 Everlast 1750-Watt Anti-Calc Steam Iron
This 1750 watt Rowenta DW7180 steam iron provides its users with optimal ironing results. It ejects powerful steam that helps you iron and gets rid of stubborn and hard wrinkles. Its soleplate has 400 steam holes which help it heat up evenly and provide amazing results. Not just that it has different auto-off features. When kept horizontal it switches off in 30 seconds, when kept vertical it switches off in 8 minutes and when tipped off it switches off in 30 seconds.
- It has a stainless steel soleplate with 400 steam holes for powerful holes for even steam distribution and easy gliding across fabrics.
- It has an easy-to-control thermostat knob that adjusts the steam output to control soleplate settings.
- This product has a removable lime-scale collector and self-cleaning and anti-clac systems for easy maintaining of steam performance over time.
- It has a precise tip for easy ironing near intricate parts like buttons, pockets, cuffs, pleats, etc.
- It has 3 different streaming options to adapt to all your ironing needs.
- Its water capacity gives you a long steam time, almost thirty minutes.
- It has different steam options, named variable, vertical, and steam bust for different needs.
- Tap water works conveniently with this iron.
- It has to be emptied after each use.
- It is a bit heavy, so not an ideal option for traveling with.
12)BEAUTURAL 1800-Watt Steam Iron
The BEAUTURAL 1800-Watt Steam Iron is a very dependable product. It has a unique double-coated soleplate that provides quality results. It also has some settings for temperature and steam control for easy usage and is well suited for quilting.
- It has an LCD with nine different pre-set settings for ideal temperature and steam, but also fabrics like nylon, silk, wool, cotton, jeans, and linen.
- It runs on 1800 watt power and has a double ceramic coated soleplate with a pointy tip which makes it easies to iron clothes with detailed edges.
- It has safety features as well. It has motion sensors that automatically switch off the motor when not being used.
- It also self-cleans! It has an anti-calcium and self-cleaning system which removes calcium deposits to increase the performance quality and product’s shelf life.
- It also has anti-drip technology which prevents your iron from leaking or dripping even when the temperature is low.
- It has nine pre-set settings for convenience.
- It has a self-cleaning feature.
- It has an automatic off feature as well making it safe to use.
- It is a bit on the heavier side.
13)SINGER White SteamCraft OnPoint Tip iron
The Singer steam craft is made to suit every person’s needs, but they are more inclined to suit the needs of sewers. With its one-point tip feature, it helps iron the detailed parts like buttons, cuffs, and pleats with ease and precision. This 1700 watt iron has a long cord for convenient use and with the huge quantity of water tank, you would not need to refill it again and again.
- It has precision controls which are made to help you use this with ease.
- It has 10 feet of cord length for easy use even if there is not a plug point nearby.
- It has a 360-degree cord pivot point to prevent strain on the cord and stop it from breaking.
- The heating plate has a tip-like point for precise ironing near buttons, cuffs, and pleats.
- It has a high-quality, durable, scratch-resistant stainless steel plate.
- It helps with detailed ironing.
- It has a well-protected cord.
- Each product is tested beforehand, this might be the reason for residual water droplets in the tank.
- To turn it off you would need to go directly to the plug point. There is no off button.
To help you with making your choice even further we have narrowed down the top 12 irons for quilting into the top three products, namely:
Do check out these products and have fun quilting!