Are you looking for the best steam iron – or should you go big and get the best steam generator iron? We’re not sure anyone enjoys ironing, but if you have to do it, you want it out of the way as quickly as possible. That’s why, dang it, you want the BEST iron. Today’s modern gents or lady who wants to look sharp can rely on their trusty iron for assistance. The modern iron is sleek, powerful, and either equipped with a plethora of confusing buttons and knobs or completely devoid of them since the iron does all of the thinking for you. Because homewares are a popular product area, you’re likely to save some money on your preferred wrinkle buster. And there are already plenty of discounts to be obtained – you’ll discover the best of them lower down the page because we check pricing at thousands of merchants every day to ensure you get the greatest deals and don’t wind up hating yourself for a terrible buy.
Powerful steam iron is required to get your garment fibers crisp and wrinkle-free when you want that pressed-from-the-dry-cleaner look. Sure, garment steamers can get the job done, but the heat and weight of a steam iron (together with the support offered by your ironing board) ensure that you achieve the incredibly smooth results you desire.
Thankfully, modern irons are making this once-arduous task easier and faster to do. Top models heat up quickly and have electronic controls that let them maintain a more exact and safe temperature, preventing burning and scorching. They steam without dripping and are easy to operate since they have large, see-through, removable water tanks and retractable wires.
Should I spend the extra money on a steam generator iron instead?
The answer is dependent on your search criteria. Steam iron is less expensive and less bulky than a steam generator, so it’s the best alternative if you’re only going to iron a small number of clothes or don’t have the requisite storage space. Despite looks, steam irons produce a large volume of steam, which has no effect on how effective they are. If you have more than £100 to spend and demand the most steam output, you may consider purchasing a steam generator with a much larger water tank that requires far less frequent replenishing.
What should I expect to pay for a steam iron?
You don’t have to spend a lot of money on a nice iron, but it’s worth it if you iron in large batches or just use it once a week. Vertical steam, for example, is a terrific bonus option that would only cost you an extra £20 to £25, and an auto-clean function might save you a lot of time and effort in the long run.
Is a larger soleplate preferable?
A larger soleplate (and, in general, a larger iron) will almost always imply a heavier iron. That added weight may make your job easier by doing some of the work for you, but it may also be more exhausting on the arms. However, a larger plate will cover a wider surface area, allowing you to finish the task faster, and bigger won’t always feel significantly heavier when you’re actually ironing. The best soleplates feature super-slick coatings that glide easily across clothes, masking their weight.
How we test irons
When the Good Housekeeping Institute Cleaning Lab examines irons, we measure the amount and rate of steam produced, the temperatures of the bottom soleplate at different settings, the temperature swings (highs and lows) at each setting, and how hot the handle and body get for safety. We time how long it takes the irons to heat up and weigh how heavy they are. We evaluate how easy it is to use the controls and sprays, how easy it is to fill the water tank, and how likely the iron is to tip over if set on an unstable board.
Finally, we wrinkle and ball up cotton, linen, wool, nylon, and other synthetic textiles and let them set overnight. The next day, each sample is ironed on the proper setting and rated on a scale of one to five for its smooth appearance using the standard guides that are part of the Textiles industry testing methodology. In total, we spent more than 150 hours testing 15 irons on a hot board. The following are the best steam irons suggested by the Good Housekeeping Institute:
Some irons might weigh more than 1.5 kg before you add any water. If you iron for long periods of time, examine the iron’s weight or try steam generators with lighter irons (generally around 1 kilo)
A ceramic soleplate is the smoothest and most resistant to damage (stainless steel is also good, aluminium or non-stick are the poorest). Some manufacturers cover their ceramic soleplate with a different substance to improve gliding or scratch resistance.
Continuous Steam Output
While most irons have a greater ‘burst shot’ that produces a quick, massive puff of steam, it is the constant stream output that is important. 35g or above is appropriate for dealing with a wide range of cloth kinds.
The greatest length is approximately 3 meters, while some irons have only 2 meters. Consider where you will be ironing the most and how easily accessible the plug connections are.
This useful safety function, which turns off the power after a period of inactivity, is being added to an increasing number of irons.
Pressure is recorded in the bar, with the current maximum being roughly 6.5bar. Anything over 5 bar should be plenty for daily ironing.
Water Tank Size
A steam generator requires a lot more water, therefore having a large water tank means spending less time stopping to refill. A 1.5-liter tank is ideal, however, some models have a massive 2-liter capacity.
Because of the increased water consumption, a steam generator is more likely to develop limescale in hard water areas. Make certain that there is a filter or calc-clean mechanism in place. Tefal employs an ingenious calc-collection system, whereas Philips and others use replaceable cartridges to filter the water.
An increasing number of steam generators (and some hand irons) are outfitted with automatic controls, eliminating the need for buttons and dials entirely. These technologies perform admirably and are now available on entry-level vehicles.
Steam generators are larger and bulkier than hand irons, necessitating the use of a steam generator-specific ironing board. Alternatively, as long as the device is secure and stable, you might place it on a nearby table or worktop.
List of Best Steam Iron in Canada
1. CHI Electronic Clothing Iron with Retractable Cord
You may be familiar with the CHI brand because of its hair styling products, and happily, what CHI has done for hair is now being done for what you wear. This CHI model not only smoothly ironed difficult-to-iron textiles like linen and heavy cotton, but it also had the most intense steam burst of any iron in our test. It’s easy to grip and use, and once you’ve spun the fabric selection dial, the illuminated display lets you know you’ve made the appropriate decision.
The water chamber is wide and simple to fill, and the retractable cable saves storage space. The scratch-resistant ceramic soleplate was particularly easy to glide on materials. This iron is so popular in the lab that anytime someone comes in to borrow an iron, we keep this one hidden!
- CHI flat iron technology was used to create this item. The same titanium-infused ceramic soleplate technology that powers CHI hair styling appliances, including the flagship CHI G2 flat iron, is incorporated in the design of this flat iron.
- Powerful steam for easy ironing. This iron distributes intense steam through over 400 steam holes, making the process of steaming away creases smooth and quick.
- Fabric instruction manual. Choose your cloth type, and the Iron adjusts the temperature to eliminate guesswork.
- Control is precise. With a rapid slide, a unique, adjustable steam lever transitions from no steam to full power. Furthermore, the elegant handle with textured grip provides perfect control and comfort.
- MATERIALS OF PREMIUM QUALITY IN A MODERN STYLE. The titanium-infused ceramic soleplate is extremely durable and scratch-resistant. This iron has a polished appearance thanks to matte chrome highlights and a slim design.
- Great steam
- Soft grip handle
- Retractable cord
- Large buttons
2. Black+Decker IR2050 BLACK+DECKER Vitessa Advanced Steam Iron
The Black + Decker Vitessa ICR2020 tied for top place in our wrinkle reduction testing despite its low price. It’s six temperature settings allow for a more personalized ironing experience, and its nonstick soleplate provides a smooth glide that rarely snags the edges of the fabric. Because of the retractable cord, storing this steam iron is as simple as pressing a button. It takes a little longer to heat up than others, but once it gets going, it’s difficult to put down.
- Stainless Steel Soleplate – The durable, heavy-duty soleplate glides smoothly over all fabric types to press out wrinkles in no time
- Even Steam Soleplate Design – The advanced soleplate design is engineered to produce consistent steam flow from heel to tip for fast, professional results
- SmartSteam Technology – Take the guesswork out of ironing SmartSteam automatically optimizes the amount of steam based on the temperature you select
- Auto Clean System – Keep the iron at peak performance with the Auto Clean system, which flushes out mineral deposits
- Automatic Shutoff – For added peace of mind, the iron shuts off when left unattended for 30 seconds on its side or soleplate, and after 8 minutes on the heel rest
- Great wrinkle removal
- Retractable cord
- Takes a bit longer than others to heat up
3. Conair Extreme Steam Pro Steam Clothing Iron, 1875-Watts with Nano Titanium Soleplate Iron
Even at maximum heat, the Conair ExtremeSteam Pro GI300 Iron heats up in less than 60 seconds. It also received high marks in our steam production testing, so you can rely on it to keep your garments wrinkle-free. This iron features rubber feet to assist keep it sturdy and prevent it from tipping over. The clear water tank allows you to see how much water is in the reservoir. (Tip: To avoid drips, only fill it to the max line.)
- NEW from Conair ~ ExtremeSteam Pro Steam Clothing Iron
- Exclusive Nano Titanium soleplate with a smooth glide feature to press out wrinkles on a variety of garment types
- Provides excellent steam distribution and penetration with a powerful burst of steam for efficient removal of tough wrinkles
- Anti-Calcium feature allows you to use ordinary tap water
- Temperature control dial, self-clean button, and variable steam control features
- Auto shut-off feature stops power after 8 minutes of non-use in vertical position and after 30 seconds if left in horizontal position
- 7 foot long power cord
- NOTE: Conair tests each iron, prior to shipment, to ensure proper function and performance. Please note that this test may leave a small amount of water or condensation inside the water tank.
- Heats up quickly
- Stable when upright
- Iron can drip if the water tank is over-filled
4. Sunbeam Corded or Cordless
Use the Sunbeam Versa Glide without the cord to remove those pesky winkles, or use it with the cord for longer periods of steam and heat without putting it back on the base. The base really connects to the back of the iron. Even with the base attached, it isn’t bulky and remains relatively light in comparison to other irons we tested. Furthermore, it is one of the greatest bargains available, especially for a 2-in-1 device! The vertical steam feature is really powerful, and all of the controls are intuitive and simple to use.
- CORDLESS FUNCTIONALITY: Sunbeam’s updated 1500-watt hybrid corded/cordless clothes steam iron provides up to 60 seconds of continuous heat and steam in cordless mode, and quickly reheats in just 25 seconds when placed back on its base
- LED INDICATOR: Steam iron features an LED indicator that tells you when the iron is losing heat in cordless mode, so you can get it back to its base to reheat
- GLIDING CERAMIC: Ceramic soleplate offers more “glide-ability” across fabrics than stainless steel or nonstick
- CHOOSE YOUR FABRIC: Large, intuitive, easy-to-use dial lets you adjust for the type of fabric you’re working with
- ADJUSTABLE STEAM: Adjustable steam controls allow you to select just the amount you need
- VERTICAL STEAM FUNCTION: Also offers Spray Mist and Shot of Steam features; Vertical Steam features is great for de-wrinkling hanging garments, drapes, or curtains
- ANTI-DRIP: Anti-drip feature prevents water leakage
- Can be used corded or cordless
- Steams well vertically
- Takes 30 minutes to automatically shut off, longer than others
5. Sunbeam Steammaster Steam Iron
Sunbeam irons and steamers have performed well in our prior GH Cleaning Lab testing, and Amazon reviewers praised this Sunbeam iron for its pricing and performance. This low-cost iron boasts high-end features like as a retractable cord (which makes it very easy to store! ), a 3-way (side, flat, and upright) auto shut-off for safety, and vertical steam.
“As a professional seamstress, I use an iron on a daily basis, and this is the greatest iron I have ever used!! I have had approximately 10 irons during my years of sewing professionally, and this one is the best iron I have purchased, hands down!!!” stated one reviewer.
- Steammaster steam iron features 1400 watts of power, large stainless steel nonstick soleplate, large water tank, and anti-drip system to prevent water leakage at any temperature setting
- Clothes iron has a Shot of Steam feature for an extra burst of steam on flat surfaces or vertically hanging clothes or draperies
- 3-Way Motion Smart auto-off for safety and peace of mind
- Self-clean system keeps iron free of mineral deposits for optimal performance
- Measures 6.375″ H x 6.25″ W x 14″ L; weighs 3 lbs. ; 8-foot retractable cord; 3-year limited
- Retractable cord
- Small fabric selector dial
6. Reliable 150GTR Portable Steam Iron
The palm-sized Ovo will smooth away wrinkles both at home and on the go. It’s the smallest iron we’ve seen, yet it’s ideal for touch-ups. This iron is very lightweight and simple to operate, weighing only 1.6 lbs. Furthermore, the steam is continuous. We adore the storage bag that doubles as a resting mat. You can use the Ovo if you can use a computer mouse.
- 𝟭𝟮𝟬𝗩 𝗢𝗡𝗟𝗬 (𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗗𝗨𝗔𝗟 𝗩𝗢𝗟𝗧𝗔𝗚𝗘)
- 𝗙𝗔𝗕𝗥𝗜𝗖𝗦 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗗𝗥𝗔𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗬 Clean and freshen fabric surfaces with Ovo’s powerful burst of steam
- 𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗤𝗨𝗘 𝗘𝗟𝗘𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧 𝗗𝗘𝗦𝗜𝗚𝗡 No other portable iron has our patent-pending technology that eliminates spitting and leaking, allowing you to iron and steam without worries.
- 𝗣𝗨𝗠𝗣 𝗜𝗧 𝗨𝗣 Ovo’s electronic steam pump heating system means it gives you impressive steam volume in a matter of seconds, every time.
- 𝗧𝗥𝗔𝗩𝗘𝗟 𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗗𝗬 Bring Ovo on your next trip and say goodbye to leaking and spitting hotel irons. Use it almost anywhere for ironing and steaming on-the-go.
- Super small and lightweight
- Great for travel
- Best for small areas and light touch-ups
7. Black & Decker D6000
The Black & Decker All-Temp Steam Digital Iron Model D6000 generated steam at all temperature settings, including low ones such as acrylic and nylon. Other features include spray, vertical steam, auto shutdown, and a digital display in English, French, and Spanish. Another advantage is that the controls are quite visible, and there is no annoying dial to fumble with. To scroll through the easy-to-read settings and symbols, simply click the buttons on either side of the electronic display.
- Iron with digital control panel and INOX stainless-steel soleplate
- Steam-on-demand at any temperature; auto steam at high temperatures
- Spray-mist and steam-surge buttons; vertical steam; anti-drip system
- Comfort Grip handle; 360-degree pivoting cord; 3-way auto shutoff for safety
- Measures approximately 12 by 5 by 6-2/7 inches
- Digital fabric and temperature selector
- Comfort grip handle
- Bulkier design than others
- Eight-foot cord is shorter than some
8. Reliable Velocity 230IR Steam Iron
A unique steam sensor in the handle of the Reliable Velocity 230IR makes this iron entertaining (and easy!) to use. When you grab the handle, it uses touch sensor technology to release steam. We tested its younger sister, the 200IR, which is nearly identical to this model, and found it to be quite pleasant to hold and to produce a lot of steam. There’s even an option to disable the automatic shut-off feature, allowing you to work on lengthier projects without constantly moving or readjusting the iron to resume it. The anodized aluminum soleplate of the Reliable glides easily across fabrics and is also very easy to clean.
𝗦𝗘𝗡𝗦𝗢𝗥 𝗧𝗘𝗖𝗛𝗡𝗢𝗟𝗢𝗚𝗬 let the Velocity 230IR know you’re ready to steam by placing your hand around the handle – that’s where the sensor is located. This will automatically start the steam, allowing you to focus on the ironing.
𝗔𝗡𝗢𝗗𝗜𝗭𝗘𝗗 𝗔𝗟𝗨𝗠𝗜𝗡𝗨𝗠 𝗦𝗢𝗟𝗘𝗣𝗟𝗔𝗧𝗘 – Gliding smoothly along with fabrics, the Velocity 230IR has a scratch-resistant soleplate that is superior to ceramic and conventional soleplates.
𝗬𝗢𝗨’𝗥𝗘 𝗜𝗡 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗥𝗢𝗟 Ironing delicate and heavy fabrics in the same load? The Velocity 230IR has an AUTO setting that’s safe for all fabrics and a TURBO setting for heavier fabrics that need a little extra heat and steam.
𝗔𝗨𝗧𝗢 𝗢𝗙𝗙 & 𝗕𝗬𝗣𝗔𝗦𝗦 8 Minute auto-shutoff and the option to bypass it puts you behind the wheel, or rather, behind the iron! You can step away and come back to a hot iron that’s ready to keep going.
𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗣𝗔𝗖𝗧 𝗩𝗔𝗣𝗢𝗥 𝗚𝗘𝗡𝗘𝗥𝗔𝗧𝗢𝗥 is continuous steam at low temperatures possible? Yes! With our patented dual heating element technology, water is heated before it reaches the soleplate, eliminating leaking and spitting.
𝗣𝗔𝗧𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗧𝗘𝗖𝗛𝗡𝗢𝗟𝗢𝗚𝗬 The Velocity 230IR has our patented technology of dual heating elements. What does it mean? Steam is produced by the built‐in steam generator and not in the soleplate, which is the case for all other irons. This ensures continuous steam even at low temperatures, without spitting and leaking. Other great features include sensor technology, eco and turbo settings and more!
- Steams by touching the handle
- Has a steam generator inside to produce more steam
- Heavier than some
9. Rowenta DW7180 Everlast 1750-Watt Anti-Calc Steam Iron
The Rowenta Steam Care Steam Iron DW3180 has no temperature dial and is designed to iron all textiles at optimal heat. Its internal multi-layer construction allows it to produce super-hot steam without heating up the soleplate, making clothes less prone to scorch. The transparent water tank also makes it easy to see when you need to replenish, and the fine-mist spray feature is ideal for stubborn creases.
- STAINLESS-STEEL SOLEPLATE W/ 400 MICROSTEAM HOLES – Even steam distribution and smooth, easy gliding across different garments; high-precision tip for hard-to-reach areas
- CLEAN STEAM – Removable lime-scale collector and self-cleaning and Anti-Calc systems for easily maintaining high level of steam performance over time; works with tap water
- EASY-CONTROL THERMOSTAT KNOB – Ergonomic design provides precise reading of settings; Auto-Steam adjusts output to accommodate soleplate temperature
- SAFETY COMES FIRST WITH ROWENTA – 3-way auto-off feature shuts iron off after 8 Min. of inactivity on heel and 30 Sec. on soleplate or tipped over on its side
- MADE IN GERMANY – German-quality with 1750 W. of power; anti-drip prevents spitting and leaking at low temperatures
- Easy to use
- No fabric settings to fuss with
- Large buttons
- Eight-foot cord is shorter than some
10. Rowenta VR83421U1 400-Holes, Compact Steam
If you iron in large batches or do a lot of sewing or quilting, a steam station may be right for you. It is ideal for continuous usage because it does not have an automatic shutoff. The Rowenta Perfect Steam Station DG8520 produced forceful steam blasts while smoothing materials ranging from silk to heavy cotton. It also has an eco-mode that allows you to lower its energy consumption by up to 20%.
- Produces more and longer lasting steam than a traditional iron
- Great for quilters and sewers
11. Miele B3847 Fashionmaster Ironing System Lotus Ironing Board Cover
Invest in Miele’s innovative ironing system and save money by skipping the dry cleaner for items that only require a quick refresh. The all-in-one unit produces high-quality results by utilizing intense steam to smooth everything from shirts to jackets.
You get an ironing board, a steamer, and an iron all in one with the Miele. The board itself contains an air inflation and suction function (for gentle pressing of delicates) (for tougher jobs). All of the parts fit neatly inside, and with its massive water tank, it truly can handle all of your ironing demands. Our Cleaning Lab liked how everything folds up and can be rolled away for storage.
- 4 bar steam pressure
- In-board fan with two speeds and auto on/off function
- Height adjustment
- Handheld steamer attachment
- Automatic descaling
- Includes an iron and garment steamer
- Board inflates and draws in air for more professional ironing results
- Folds and moves on wheels
- Takes up storage space